Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wish List Wednesday

This week's Wish List Wednesday is a little different. It is not about something I wish to have, it is about a skill I wish to learn. I'm sad (and maybe a bit ashamed) to admit this, but, I don't know how to sew. I think it's pretty inexcusable for a craft nerd like me. When I was younger my Mom would always tell me I should learn how to sew. She gave me the whole "When I was your age I made all my clothes"... Now that I'm older, and live too far away from her, I wish I would've let her teach me to sew when I had the chance.

Now, for someone who has no sewing skills, I have a little obsession with vintage sewing machines. They're just so much more intricate and pretty than the sewing machines now-a-days. Enter, this beauty:


This is mine! The most amazing gift I could ask for, from my boyfriend for Christmas last year. Isn't it the prettiest color? It has undergone some maintenance in our garage/studio and is now in working condition.

But, I have no clue where to start. None. And every time I see it sitting in there I get a little sad because 1.) I don't know how to use it and 2.) It's too pretty to be sitting there being unseen all the time.

So, in an effort to learn a new skill, and not have to lower my head in shame every time a sewing DIY project sparks my interest, I'm going to take baby steps towards this "wish." I considered taking a class at Jo Ann Fabric's (anyone ever taken one?). I'm also going to find some scrap fabric and just get the feel of the running machine. Oh and probably some youtube videos? Any suggestions or tutorials you have are welcome!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this one! I want to learn SO bad! My mom gave me an old machine, but it's missing a couple parts so I was upset because I can't afford to buy one at the moment. Then my friend gave me a newer one and guess what, it's missing the chord...and they are no where to be found online! Now I have two machines that are collecting dust! I am hoping my friend finds the chord so I can begin. There are tons of great tutorials on blogs. I usually just search "easy sewing tutorial" under Google Images and see what I like.

    Here are some I saved in my "want to try" folder:
    http://www.prudentbaby.com/2010/09/rag-edge-blanket-easiest-finish.html
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-recycle-a-t-shirt-sleeve-into-a-baby-hat/2009/04/22/
    http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2009/10/easy-knit-baby-hats.html

    They are all baby things though...I'm obsessed. Those are great blogs though and have other tutorials.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! I read them all and reply when I can. Please be sure your blogger account is linked to your e-mail so I can do so! (Tutorial on how to do that here: http://tinyurl.com/c6gh9fk) xo JA