Monday, February 25, 2013

How To Make Dough Without A Mixer

We are big pizza fans in this house. We like to make our own, in the oven or on the grill, but we have never tried to make the dough from scratch. My mom makes dough all the time. I remember seeing the bowl of rising dough on the kitchen counter and getting excited that we were having pizza that night. I asked her if she would show me how to make dough while she was visiting. She said she would, but it might be tricky because I don't have a Kitchenaid mixer. But we were up to the challenge and it turned out great! Here's what you do:

Ingredients:

2 envelopes dry yeast
2 c warm water
5 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
4 tbsp olive oil
Dissolve the yeast in the water. Place flour in a mixing bowl and stir in salt and sugar. Add yeast mixture and oil.
Mix until dough forms a ball and is soft and pliable.
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. If the dough starts to stick to your hands add a small amount of flour.
Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat all sides.
Cover and let rise 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
Turn dough out onto board and divide into two balls. (We froze the 2nd ball.) Cover and let rest 10 minutes.

Place dough on lightly oiled pan. Press into desired shape to fit pan. Dough should be thinner at the center than at the edge. Top with filling. Bake in preheated 400 degree over for 30 minutes or until done.

To defrost dough: Place dough in fridge overnight

Parmesan Dough Variation: Substitute 2 3/4 c flour and 1/4 c parmesan cheese for 3 c of flour

Oregano Dough Variation: Stir 2 tbsp chopped oregano into the flour


9 comments:

  1. nommm! I make pizza dough in the bread machine... best purchase i ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom and brother make their own pizza dough, but it's not something I've ever tried myself. This definitely encourages me to do so. I think my fiance would love it; he loves homemade bread (we-er, well, HE made naan bread last week). Plus, a homemade pizza guarantees that you get exactly what you want on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nom nom nom ... I only ever started making pizza dough maybe a year ago. It's not only really easy it also tastes a whole lot better compared to the store bought one (plus it's cheaper too). To be honest though, I never even thought about using a mixer. Then again, I have a very small kitchen with only few appliances. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This actually looks pretty simple! I may have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks amazing! I've been wanting to do a lot more baking, though that will probably have to wait a few months. Anyway, I'll save this post for when I have time:)

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love making pizzas completely from scratch! If you've got the time I think it's SO worth it :)

    Amy | The Little Koala

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!! I love pizza too! Making your own is always the best!

    Cheers!
    ♥Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homemade pizza is the only way to go! I make my dough in the food processor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THis looks awesome! I love making homemade pizza.

    Happy Monday!

    Sheree
    The Hartungs Blog
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! I read them all and reply when I can. Please be sure your blogger account is linked to your e-mail so I can do so! (Tutorial on how to do that here: http://tinyurl.com/c6gh9fk) xo JA