Tuesday, November 6, 2012

DIY Christmas Ornament

I'm not sure when I became one of those people that wanted to decorate for Christmas right after Halloween. But yesterday I found myself at Michaels, where their holiday scented candles were on sale. And I have a bit of a weakness for holiday scented candles (especially when they are on sale), so I bought Holiday Berry and Christmas Tree. I came home, lit Holiday Berry, and that's what did it. All of a sudden I was making ornaments and putting up one of our Christmas trees. (I fought the urge to turn on a Christmas Pandora station, telling myself that was going too far for November 5th. Not to mention it was like 90 degrees outside and definitely not feeling "Christmas-y.")
So today I have a DIY Christmas ornament tutorial for you! I know some of you might be mad at me. You're all like girrlll I'm still recovering from my Halloween sugar coma. It's cool. Just Pin this tutorial for next month when you're ready for Christmas and we can be friends again. ;]
What you'll need:

Metallic spray paint
Clear Christmas bulbs for crafting
(They're on sale at Michael's this week)
Bendable Branches
(I found this wreath at the Dollar Store)
Tweezers

If your branches are long, you will need to trim them down. I used clippers and cut mine to a little longer than the height of the bulbs. Once cut, spray paint them thuroughly. I used silver spray paint but if I did it again I would use gold to make the branches more visible.
Once the branches have dried, begin placing them into the opening of the bulb. Using a pair of tweezers made it easier for me to adjust the placement of the branches. Once you have them in an arrangement you like put the top make on the bulb and it's ready to be hung!
What do you think? Too soon to be thinking about Christmas? Or did I maybe, just maybe, get you a little amped up that the holiday is coming? ;] xo JA

18 comments:

  1. I always feel like November is too early for Christmas stuff, and then by the time December comes around I wish I'd made a start on DIY projects for Christmas! I reckon you've got the balance fine, and I'll definitely be pinning this to use later in the month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I love it, and its different DIY ornament then I have ever seen! Beautiful.
    Carlee
    Almost Endearing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!What a easy and beautiful idea!!!I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are adorable and so simple! love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty, I love it!
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's never too early to start preparing for Christmas: just don't do too much too soon, or you'll be jaded when it comes: and don't you have Thanksgiving before to get through?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are cuuute. Those clear plastic ornaments are kind of glorious. I spray painted a bunch last year with chalk board paint for gifts. Way fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are seriously so beautiful!

    Life Unsweetened

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those!

    This year is mine and my fiance's third Christmas together, but our first in our own place! and second one actually in the same province, haha.

    We have 3 Christmas ornaments so far for our tree. I can't wait to make a bunch! Thanks for posting a DIY :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an awesome idea! I was listening to Christmas music the day after Halloween this year XD I'm not one for decorating until December, but I am excited already. Took every thing I had to not start talking about Christmas right away lol (might have something to do with getting to go home for Christmas this year). I have a growing adoration for homemade ornaments, think I will have to try this one. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:58 PM

    Those are so sweet! I won't be able to have a Christmas tree this year, because I live in a tree-or-bed-but-not-both sized apartment, and well, I like to sleep. The department stores here in Korea lit their outdoor trees last week, and I had some super excited/super guilty feelings about completely skipping Thanksgiving in my mind. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! And I think that's cool if you want to think about Christmas now. I was looking at ornaments last weekend too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5:39 PM

    Super creative and definitely so festive. Don't think it's too soon for the holidays. I'm finishing up my holiday shopping this month (that's my goal at least), so I've been on the same wave length as you. I figured, the sooner you think about it, the more you enjoy the "tis the season" spirit.

    MJ
    Papersidewalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Looks great on the white tree especially.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm def doing this! thanks for sharing...:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So simple and easy-to-do. An idea worth repeating and perhaps using other materials in similar fashion. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Julie! Your craft has been chosen in my special Christmas tree balls posts! You can check here: Bolas de Navidad (in spanish). Regards :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this project - so creative and fun! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of glass ornament crafts here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! I read them all and reply when I can. Please be sure your blogger account is linked to your e-mail so I can do so! (Tutorial on how to do that here: http://tinyurl.com/c6gh9fk) xo JA